to create a game, based on our study of history, using the MissionMaker program.
Here’s a brief outline of how we went about it…….
1. Exploring world history. “Taste testing” periods, people, stories from 3 eras:
- Ancient history
- Medieval history
- Modern history
2. Focusing in on a story that they enjoyed –
- Comparing info/accounts of the story
3. Playing with MissionMaker
- Playing MM games
- Watching training video for ideas, ways of using the props, objects, rooms
- Exploring the program themselves
4. Negotiating task requirements«
- Pick up 5 objects
- Use a story from history
- Demonstrate knowledge of your period in history
5. Aligning historical story with MissionMaker game. Deciding on worlds, characters, objects that are available in the game
- Mind map of possibilities – who, when, where, what, why, how
- Physical map of the game – rooms, characters, objects, clues
6. Making the game – this is where we are up to now
7. Presenting the games for play
It’s school holidays at the moment so we have had to take a break from game-making for the next two weeks, but will continue when we get back to school.
I have been encouraging the students to blog their preparations and plans as we go. To “see” what they have been up to please visit our class blog – 07 AllStars and click on their individual blogs down the right hand side of the page.