Seven Strategies of Assessment For Learning

I first heard about Assessment for Learning through this book: “Seven Strategies of Assessment for Learning” by Jan Chappuis. As I read it last summer, I was impressed with how “real” the strategies and ideas were, how do-able and sensible they were. Quite simply it is all quality teaching!

The seven strategies described in the title are a compilation and synthesis of current thinking in the assessment area. They have been used, shaped and refined in classrooms with real teachers and real students.

Real students – at  the centre of the assessment cycle. In control, being informed, reflective, and a powerful voice in their own learning. This is the power behind assessment for learning – the active presence of the student: it is their learning, their skills and ultimately their effort and participation in their assessment of their learning in order to improve their learning.

It sounds interesting, enlightening and POWERFUL. I’m ready to give it a try……so here I go. On an A4L adventure!

2 thoughts on “Seven Strategies of Assessment For Learning

1. Hi Kim,
    Another top book on assessment for learning is by Dylan Wiliam. It’s called Embedded Formative Assessment. Alternatively type “journey to excellence” into google. There are lots of Dylan Wiliam videos to entertain staff.