Talk IT

Talking our way into learning …….. I first started to realize the importance and value of computer games when I listened to my own children discussing and playing their favourite game. They would work through the game trying all sorts of problem solving strategies:

• they would pause the game, 

• chat about the best way to approach the current problem, 

• try out their  strategy,       

• try again,        

• work out a new way to solve the problem,   

• swap the controls and let the other player attempt the difficulty,    

• automatically pass the control when they got to a difficulty that they knew the other player was stronger at,    

• chat,      

• discuss,     

• argue !?!

Even when they were not playing the game (ie away from the PS) they would be working out plans, suggesting new ways of approaching problems, hypothesizing possible strategies to try later.  I was continually surprised, not just at the level of engagement with the game, but the amount of thinking, planning, problem solving and talking that was happening around the game.

The TALK that surrounded the playing of the game was substantial, high quality communication.

I wondered then, when preparing to use the Wii in our PE program, if the TALK in the classroom would be as substantive – there are many more people involved, a bigger age gap between oldest and youngest (it’s a Year 4,5,6 class and ages range between 8/9 years and 12/13 years), and the setting was completely different, as was the type of game being played. 

While we were trying out the controls and progressing through the practice sessions  I tried to I listen to what the students were saying as they went ( difficult: chaotic, loud, hilarious, quick )  

Helps: twist it, aim it

Hints: try this, what about that

Suggestions: just twist the controller

Instructions: move the controller to knock/spin the ball

After just one session with the Wii I noticed that even though the depth of thinking and talking was not great, my class were :

• focusing on their language, making it specific and understood by the others
  • building a shared understanding of the words they were using
  • working together – sharing, listening, compromising
  • using new language/vocab in a supportive setting
  • problem solving for a shared and important end
  • using new language/vocab in a purposeful way

The purpose, at this early stage of our play with the Wii, was to build common understandings, skills and terminology so that our future use of the Wii could be shared by all the class – and the TALK in the session reflected this.

Unfortunately time ran out without us having the chance to talk about the learning that had taken place in the session – usually I would ask the class, in pairs or small groups or individually, to talk or write about the learning that had taken place using our “Thinking Hats” (De Bono’s 6 Thinking Hats) so I don’t have any comments from the class – I will have to make sure that I leave time for this important reflection next time 🙂

Lots more to do and to explore. Interesting and exciting times!