Strategy 5 – Design Lessons to Focus on One Learning Target or Aspect of Quality at a Time

This strategy gives the power to the teacher to effectively focus their lessons, to know the purpose of a task, to know how far it was achieved and helps in identifying how to move students forward.

Rather than aiming for a non-existent middle of the group and hoping that someone learns something relevant, lessons are designed to focus on specific learning needs of students. When everyone is clear on what is required, then misconceptions can be cleared up and learning can move forward.

Using WALT & WILF regularly in a variety of subject areas has helped me be really clear about the purpose of my lessons and focussing on specific learning or quality targets actually allows me more time to cover a range of targets or qualities. I know when a target has been met or if I have to re-teach or re-focus in another lesson, I know who has achieved the target and who needs more exposure to a target.

2 thoughts on “Strategy 5 – Design Lessons to Focus on One Learning Target or Aspect of Quality at a Time

1. Hello Megan,
    WILF is great when planning your lesson – keeps you, and the students, focussed on the criteria for success (and in turn feedback).
    Some staff at my school use TIB – This Is Because – as well. Just to make the reasons behind the outcomes clearer.
    Thanks for your comment,
    KimP